Monday, May 7, 2012

I recently gave a speech at a memorial for Howard Terry, the founder of the Terry Foundation, which provides scholarships for students to attend Texas Public Universities:

My name is Charles Cliff.
Some of you may know me. Some of you may simply know of me. Some of you may be surprised that I am speaking to you today; I confess I'm a bit surprised myself.
When Blythe asked me to speak on behalf of the Terry Scholar Alumni, I set ut to collect my thoughts and compose an epitaph to honour Howard Terry.

But, to be honest, I found this extremely difficult. I met Howard Terry only in short, sparse encounters. I cannot honestly say that I knew the man; and, I have never been entirely comfortable speaking on subjects with which I am so unfamiliar.

So I found myself doing something I had not done in several years: I opened my Bible.

And in Mathew, I found something not entirely unlike an answer.

This particular verse says: "Thus you will know them by their fruits".

Reading this, I realized that perhaps I knew Howard Terry better than I thought. If I wish to know Howard Terry, I need only look to the young men and women here today.

Because I know Chris Moore, I know Howard was hard-working.
Because I know Alexandra Wilson, I know Howard was kind.
Because I know Tania Foster, I know Howard was a bit bossy.

But above all these things, I know Howard was immensely proud of each of you, because I am proud of you.

I have seen each of you grow into bright and strong men and women. The works that you have done leave a testament that can never be over-written.

Howard Terry's memorial will extend beyond this one day to the rest of ours.

Howard Terry will be known through the lives you scholars choose to lead.

The Things we do will continue to etch his story into the pages of history.

My friends, let's make that story a good one.



No comments:

Post a Comment