Monday, May 7, 2012

Biblical Truthiness

One of the tenants of Christianity that causes quite a bit of fuss is the assertion that the Bible represent the literal Word of God. This tenant of the faith never fails to stir up men's emotions, causing harsh and even bitter arguments, even among the truest of friends. While I have come to understand the positions of those on both sides of the issue, I've reached a point in my life at which I can confidently say that I just don't care.

My position, one that I believe to be unique amongst both the Faithful and the Godless, is that the question of whether or not the Bible comes unadulterated from the word of the Almighty is moot. It simply has no practical implications for me. and my reasoning is quite simple: It's because I've READ the Bible.

I know what's good about the Good Book; and to be utterly fair, it really is good. The message carried by the New Testament: one of Faith, Hope and Love (I usually ignore Leviticus) is one so profound that I think it speaks for itself. I think the words stand on their own.

I don't think the Bible needs the additional credibility associated with Divine Mandate. The lessons learned from it's parables carry no more weight when narrated by the Angels than by a Jewish carpenter who never went to work. It makes absolutely no difference to me. I don't agree with the Bible because of Heavenly Writ, I agree with the Bible because I think it's right: an opinion utterly unaffected by it's origin.

I treat the Bible as a useful moral and philosophical tool, providing insight in moments when I find myself sucked into a the depths of a moral quagmire. I don't care if I buy a hammer from Home Depot or Lowe's. I care if the hammer helps me build a fence. By the same logic, I don't care with from whence the Bible comes. It's there. It's useful. I'll use it.

If the issue of it's authorship is really so crucial to your Faith, then by all means continue the arguments; but I'm going to grab a beer, I've got a fence to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment