Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Gwythead and Goedwyn - Part 1

Math was High King, but cursed to forever rest his feet in the lap of a virgin; so, wherever he went he was accompanied by the fair maiden, Goedwyn, in whose lap he rested his feet.
It is said that when Gwythead first looked upon Goedwyn, his heart was filled with a great love. As his longing for Goedwyn grew greater, he eschewed all of his former pastimes.He stopped his hunting. He ceased to join his companions in contests of strength. He did not eat; and at meals, fell heavily into his cups.
He forbade poetry and music in his presence, and became churlish at the smallest sounds. His halls  became somber and dreary, where once it had been boisterous and lively. His companions, who loved their lord dearly, could make nothing of the changes in Gwythead's mind and manner; and they knew not what to do. For some time, Gwythead continued in this manner, his color and form wasting away because of his love for Goedwyn.
One day, Gwydion, wearing the mantle of a great eagle as he oft was wont to do, chanced to fly above his brother Gwythead's keep.
"Ah," thought Gwydion. " I have flown very far today and I am now quite weary; moreover, it has been too long since I have seen my dear brother. Thus, I shall call upon him, and perhaps spend a night or two in his  famed hospitality."
And this is what he did. But upon his arrival, the gates were closed against his entry.
 "Ho there," he called. "What is this, that the gates of my brother, Prince Gwythead, should be closed and barred against me?"
"My lord," the guards called down form the gates. "on our good lord's command, we have shut these gates to all those who would enter. Our good lord has forbade all visitors, even the wandering bards that once were so well received here."
Gwydion was incredulous at these words, for they sounded most unlike the brother he had long known.
"Sir," cried Gwydion. "by the gods themselves that does sound most strange.  If ever you had love for your lord my brother, you shall open these doors to me and bring me at once before your lord and I shall see for myself what strange spell ails him."

And so  Gwydion was brought into the great hall of the keep, and when he beheld his brother, Gwydion was shocked.
"Brother," he said. "What has happened to you?"
"Why brother, "said Gwythead. "what is wrong with me?"
"Indeed," Gwydion replied. "You have lost all of your his color and your form is wasting away."
 "My dear brother, there is no point in me telling anyone what has happened, for I am sure there is nothing that can be done about it. I do love the fair Goedwyn, but alas she is bound to serve the good high king, Math, and so remains ever out of my reach."
At the Gwydion let out a heavy sigh, for he knew the turmoil in his brother's heart.
"Say no more, brother." Gwydion counseled. "For have we two not ever sought and striven for the impossible. Hear me now, this very day I shall set forth form your good house and rest not a single day until the fair Goedwyn's hand is yours."
And on hearing this, Gwythead was cheered, for never before had his brother failed once he had set his mind and hand to a task.
And so as he said, Gwydion set forth that very hour to some way win for his beloved brother the hand of Goedwyn, the most beautiful maiden in the Nine Realms.
But none knew then, to what lengths Gwydion would needs go in order to achieve his quest, nor what dire consequences his actions would hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment