Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Gwydion and the Witch of Carran Tor - Part 1


One fine summer's day, Prince Gwydion was visiting his brother Gwythead. After a long day of hunting and feasting, the two were sitting at table with Gwythead's boon companions Auwyn the Stoic and Tolwen Ironhand. The four were drinking, and conversing, and playing at dice.

"My lords," said Tolwen. "I must say the strangest thing happened to me this day."

"Pray the gods tell," said Gwythead. "And do not leave us wondering"

"I shall indeed, my lord," said Tolwen. "Today I bore a remarkable thirst, such as I had not known for an age; and so I decided to visit the Tavern house of my good freind Brean, as Brean is known for making the best ale in the kingdom."

"Indeed," said Gwythead. "Brean's ale is unsurpassed in this realm, as well I dare say any other. Do continue, dear Tolwen."

"I shall, my Lord," said Tolwen. "And when I arrived at Brean's Tavern, I did drink heavily to quench my thirst. For as I said, I had not known such thirst in an great while. And as I drank, I began to converse with a most strange man."

"Strange!" cried Gwydion. "How strange, dear Tolwen?"

"It was this," replied Tolwen. "The man wore thick white furs, even though it is, as you well know, high summer. He said he was from the far north, a realm of Never-ending Winter, where ice and frost lay thick on the ground throughout the year. Given the state of his dress, I was not wont to doubt the man."

"Indeed not!" said Gwythead.

"Just so, "said Tolwen. "'Why my friend,' said I. 'What brings you so far south, and such great distance from your home?' It was then that he told me his tale."

"And what tale is this?" asked Gqydion.

"I shall tell it now, sir," said Tolwen. "He told me that in the far north of these lands there arises from the frosted tundras a high and great hill. And at the very top of this hill there grows a great tree, whose branches bear leaves of ice instead of leaves, and fruits of beautiful diamond"

"How now?" cried Gwythead. "A tree that bears diamond fruit! How could such a wonder be, Tolwen?"

"Indeed my lord," said Tolwen. "I scarcely believe the tale myself, but this stranger swore it to be true, and so I yet harkened to his tale.  He told me that his people had lived at the foot of the hill, making their living by herding the great white  reindeer that lived on the planes.His people, he said, lived simple and peaceful live. Until one day, a terrible witch cam to hill. This witch decided to make her home at the base of the great tree, at the highest point of the frozen hill. Because of this, the villager named the hill Carran Torr, which means the Hill of Cold Magic."

"That is an evil tale, my friend, "said Gwythead.

"I said much the same thing, my lord," said Tolwen. "But does not the tree of ice and crystal sund not wondrous?"

"Oh most wondrous," said Gwydion, for in his heart was stirred a great desire to see thus tree.

"But alas, this tree has such a fell guardian," said Auwyn."Good never comes form triflingwith a witch woman."

"How now!" cried Gwydion. "Are we true men here, to chafe at the threat of a woman?"

"Lord Gwydion," Tolwen protested. "You are unjust! It is not a quesiton of bravery, but of wisdom that begs our hesitaiton!"

"Is it not said," said Auwyn. "the two greatest dangers to stout-hearted men are magic and women? What then, is a witch?"

"Pah, cried Gwydion. "You seem naught but cowardly knaves!" And at these words, Auwyn and Tolwen grew angry, and the three would surely have come to blows had not Gwythead been present.

"Now brother!" said Gwythead, who had become most an\noyed with his brother."There is but an easy way to settle this dispute. I propose a wager: that Gwydion should travel north, acquire two of these fruits from this wondrous tree, and present them here, to Auwyn and Tolwen. Should he do this, we shall all laud know his true bravery and skill. But should he fail, then to these same two will he give five good horses from his own stables and 10 new born lambs from his own fields."

And so it was agreed, and that very same day did Gwydion journey north to the lands of Never-ending Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment